FOR EVERYONE TO ATTEND
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 26, 2012
This is YOUR opportunity to tell Council what YOU want the future of Kardon Park to be!!!
DON'T MISS IT!!!
To be very clear,
KARDON PARK IS A PUBLIC PARK, AND
ALL 50+ ACRES MUST BE RECOGNIZED AS A PUBLIC PARK
IN DOWNINGTOWN BOROUGH'S COMPREHENSIVE PLAN!!!
The Borough is systematically trying to remove the Kardon Park from ever having existed as a public park, and now it appears they've added the mill race to the list. (The mill race is the creek that starts up at the dam and "beach" on Struble Trail, runs down through Kardon Park, under the center of town, and back into the Brandywine over by D'town Nat'l Bank. It is the primary source of water for the ponds. It has been neglected and purposefully blocked to deprive the ponds of water.)
They are attempting to re-write history
When the Planning Commission was confronted by Councilor
Feldman that their recommendation to develop Kardon Park is premised upon
the ILLEGAL sale of a public park, their president, Steve Henning, responded that the Planning Commission supports the development of
Kardon Park, and they will include the development of Kardon Park in the draft Comprehensive Plan
for Council’s approval.
the Borough would sell the tract to a private developer
who would construct townhouses on a portion of the
parcel, re-route the Lions Trail and leave part of the
parcel for passive recreation. The Future Land Use Plan
in this Comprehensive Plan designates much of Kardon
Park north of East Pennsylvania Avenue as “Medium
The "tract" is a PUBLIC PARK. The part being left for "passive recreation" is the WATER. That's right -- the water, the enlarged parking lot, the trail (to be moved closer to the water so more houses can be crammed in), and the Victim's Memorial.
Don't be fooled into thinking they've made it "nice"' by changing the housing to "Medium Density Residential". The medium density is 70 townhouse units planned for the 7 acre-tract at the north end of the park and has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BOROUGH COMPREHENSIVE PLAN -- that portion of the PARK is in EAST CALN and doesn't even belong in our Comprehensive Plan!
The Borough portion of the public park is still slated to become HIGH DENSITY residential housing, in the event that they win in court.
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/friendsofkardonpark
Since our VICTORY on October 7, 2010:
- The Borough has been PURPOSEFULLY destroying the park by neglect and destructive activities
- they have stopped mowing the meadows
- invasive stilt grass has overtaken the park destroying the meadows
- ponds and park have not been maintained causing overgrowth of vegetation
- the ponds' source of water (the millrace) from the Brandywine has been cut off
- the millrace supplying the life-giving water is dry
- wetlands have already been destroyed
- the Borough and County refuse to restore water flow to the Kardon Park ponds
- misleading and deceitful warning signs have been posted throughout the park
- Kardon Park has been removed from all Borough publications
will affect ALL public parkland in the future.